Did you know that over 1 billion people in the world have a disability? That’s a lot of people! And as you can imagine, many of these people rely on the internet to shop, learn, and connect with others. If your website isn’t accessible to everyone, using tools like accessiBe and others, you’re missing out on a huge market! This article will discuss why website accessibility is so important for businesses of all sizes. We’ll also provide tips for making your website more accessible.
What is website accessibility and why is it important?
The first thing to understand is what website accessibility is. Website accessibility refers to making sure that everyone can use and access your website, regardless of any disabilities they may have. This includes people who are blind or have low vision, deaf or hard of hearing and even those with physical disabilities that make it difficult to use a mouse or keyboard.
Making your website accessible is important for a few reasons:
- It’s the right thing to do. Everyone deserves to be able to use and enjoy the internet, regardless of any challenges they may face.
- It’s good for business. By making your website accessible, you can tap into a whole new market of potential customers.
- It may be required by law.
In many countries, businesses are required by law to make their websites accessible to people with disabilities.
So how do you make your website more accessible?
You can do a few key things to make your website more accessible for everyone:
- Use clear and concise language. This will make it easier for people with cognitive disabilities to understand your content.
- Provide text alternatives for non-text content, like images or videos. This will help people who are blind or have low vision to access your content.
- Make sure your website is easy to navigate. This includes adding labels to links and buttons and using consistent page layouts.
- Provide captions for videos. This will help people who are deaf or hard of hearing enjoy your content.
- Use color carefully.
Ensure that any text is easy to read and that links are easily distinguishable from other content.
What are the benefits of making your website accessible?
There are many benefits to making your website accessible, both for you and your users:
- It allows you to tap into a whole new market of potential customers.
- It helps you build trust and credibility with your users.
- It can improve your search engine optimization (SEO) since accessible websites are often ranked higher by Google and other search engines.
- It can save you time and money in the long run by avoiding lawsuits or other legal action that could be taken against you.
- It can help you make your website better for everyone, not just people with disabilities.
FAQs about website accessibility
Here are some answers to common questions about website accessibility:
Q: Do I have to make my whole website accessible?
A: No, you don’t have to make your entire website accessible. However, you should make sure that all of the important pages on your website, like your home page, contact page, and product pages, are accessible.
Q: What if I can’t make my website accessible?
A: If you can’t make your website accessible, you may be required to provide an alternative way for people with disabilities to access your content. This could include providing a separate accessible website, or supplying information in an alternate format, like Braille.