Articles He Wrote
- Surprise surprise, young people don’t want to stay on farms
- Harvard students hope a mob mentality can raise malaria awareness
- Can fair trade clothing prevent the next factory tragedy?
- Boston Marathon showcases resilience of humanity
- Parents say more than 200 girls missing in northern Nigeria
- The Disaster After The Disaster (My review of When the Big Truck Went By published in Health Affairs)
Idaho is not so bad
I am passing through Seattle, San Francisco and LA over the next two weeks. Say hi if you are around.
- Akex Oareebe says what everyone has been thinking for a long time, it is time for the NY Times to ditch Friedman, Brooks and Dowd from the OpEd pages.
- Yankees fans are everywhere! An interactive map breaks down baseball fans by zip code.
- Another 90s has-been is peddling anti-vaccine ideas.
- The founder of Boston Brewery (aka Sam Adams), Jim Koch, says he has a trick to ward off getting drunk. Anyone try this out?
- The lasting impacts of a failed Washington career that ended due to a scandal.
- Rolling Stone readers love John Hughes. They think Breakfast Club is the best movie of the 80's.
- After years of rape allegations, the ax might finally fall on one of fashion's most divisive photographers.
- A very unscientific survey finds that people from Montana and Alaska have the most state pride. Rhode Island and Illinois rate the worst.
Song of the Week
Future Islands - Seasons (Waiting on You)
(Say what you want about the lead singer's dance moves, but there are few performers that are this emotionally invested in what they create)
- A great response to the ONE Campaign's silly blog posts of maps about Africa.
- Why did Tufts give a platform to a dictator? Same goes for Stanford and Brandies who all hosted Rwandan President Paul Kagame.
- "If you as an aid donor are concerned about pressure on global resources from overpopulation, the question you ought to be asking is about your own behavior, not about whether the poor ought to have access to bednets."
- An argument for cash transfers serving as the index fund for development.
- The big NGOs continue to sideline the smaller and more local counterparts when responding to disasters.
The Funny Pages
Hover text: "I can't remember where I heard this, but someone once said that defending a position by citing free speech is sort of the ultimate concession; you're saying that the most compelling thing you can say for your position is that it is not literally illegal to express"